Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Momche i Viatyr - Boy and wind (English Version)


A widow has an only son. The mother and the boy worked from dawn till dark. They used to clean the house, feed the cattle, hoe, weed out and harvest. Thresh out the big corn. It was enough for them and there was also for sale. They baked a banitsa (cheese or pumpkin pastry) and kneed round loafs.
One day mother told the son: “Take the large baking dish and go to the cellar. Bring me meal to make a pastry.” The boy did what his mother told and went to the yard. A strong wind come out and spilled the flour.
The boy went to the cellar once again. He filled the large baking dish and went to the yard once again. A strong wind come out and spilled the flour once again.
“It will be not as you wish”, the boy cried out and went to the cellar. He went to the yard. A strong wind came out and nothing left in the large baking dish.
The boy cast the large baking dish away and went to chase the wind. He ran, ran - he met bareheaded young man.
“Why do you run boy?”-asked the young man.
“I am chasing the wind. He robbed my work. He spilled the flour. I am chasing him to give me back. “
“You chase the wind? Give up this work. The wind took my fur cap away and blew it to the river. But I am not crazy to chase it.”
“I will chase it and will catch him”, said the boy
And the boy ran again and on. In the next day he met healthy and heavily build villager. “Where you heading boy?”, asked the villager.
“I am chasing the wind”.
“Why are you chasing it?”
“To give my flour back. Tree large baking dishes he spilled me.”
“He robbed my and my mothers’ work.”
“Don’t waste your time boy! How to come to grips with the wind. He destroyed me so many fruit-trees and so many fruits were wasted. But I am keeping quiet. Who could handle with the wind?”
“I will handle!”
And the boy ran again and on. In the next day he met an old sailor with a sack on his shoulder.
“Where you heading boy?” asked the sailor
“I am chasing the wind.”
“What he has done to you?”
“He spilled me 3 large baking dishes.”
“Big thing!”
“For you may be small thing, but for me is big. Let him work to see how to crop every grain!”
“Come back boy! You can’t handle with the wind. He is strong and scary. He will blow against you and will blow you off in the wilderness. He did sink our ship too. The sailors and the passengers were drowned. I myself still wonder how I survived!”
“Whatever! I am heading forward! I am not coming back! I will run the wind, I will look for my flour!”
And the boy ran again and on - and finally caught the wind.
“Hey, wind! Give me back my spilled flour.”
“Wind to hold flour?”
“Hold, to hold - we produced with work. You spilled it - now you must give it back! That’s why I am chasing you 3 days.”
The wind smiled and said: “It is good that you are taking care of the acquired property. More else you have courage to argue with the wind. The spilled flour I could not give you back, but I will pay with this handkerchief. Take it and take care. When you say “Handkerchief, give me food!” – It will give you. Whatever food you want, you will get it at once.”
The boy took the handkerchief. He was walking and thinking – “Did the wind tells the truth? Let me try.” He spread out the handkerchief and said:
“Handkerchief, give me banitsa (pastry) and ayran!” (Yoghurt drink) Then at once on the handkerchief were set golden dishes with tasty pastry and ayran.
The boy wanted another meal. Whatever he wanted was immediately in front of him. The boy ate his fill and headed forward again. He walked and on the 3’ rd night reach one tavern to sleep. He sat on an empty table, spread out the handkerchief and said: “Handkerchief give me to eat. In the moment he said it, there were tasty dishes in front of him. People in the tavern were amazed and the boy feasted them well.
The tavern keeper said: “I have not seen such miracle, handkerchief to give dishes! From where did you get it boy? Are there to be sold?”
“The wind gave me.”
“Good gift”, said the tavern keeper’s wife. “Even the richest man will envy you.”
The boy ate his fill and went to sleep. During the night the tavern keeper’s wife said to the tavern keeper: “Let’s take the boy’s handkerchief. Without work we will amass fortune. Handkerchief give food-here you are! Handkerchief give drink - here you are! Will serve them and without work we will make money!”
During the night, when the boy fell asleep the tavern keeper’s wife took the boy’s handkerchief and put it on its place another.
In the morning the boy headed home and when he reached it he cried out: “Mother, come to see what handkerchief I am bringing you! The wind gave me, because he spilled our flour. You will no longer knead or cook.”
“What handkerchief son? Let m see it!”
The boy spread out the handkerchief and said: “Handkerchief, give me to eat!”
But there were no result. The boy took the handkerchief and straight forward to the wind. “Wind, here you are Handkerchief - give me flour back! The Handkerchief gives me to eat no more.”
“Why it does not giving any more?”
“I don’t know.”
The wind understood what all is about and said: “Take this little cock. When you say sing little cock, it will sing and gold coins will fall from its mouth.”
The boy took the little cock and reached once again the same tavern to stay for the night. When he sat to dine he said: “Sing little cock!”
The little cock sang and gold coins began to fall from its mouth. The boy took it and ordered himself a meal. When he finished he went to bed. During the night, when the boy fell asleep the tavern keeper’s wife took the boy’s little cock and put it on its place another.
In the morning the boy headed home and when he reached it he cried out: “Mother, come to see what little cock I am bringing you! When it sings, golden coins begin to fall from its mouth. Come on, sing little cock!”
But the little cock was quiet! “Come on, sing little cock!” The boy took the little cock and straight forward to the wind.
“Wind, here you are little cock! Give me flour back. The little cock gives no more gold coins!”
“So?” said the wind. “The tavern keeper and the tavern keeper’s wife stole the real handkerchief and little cock. I am giving you this stick. When you say hit, it will hit who you want. When you say Stop – it will stop.” The boy took the stick and once again reached the same tavern. The tavern keeper and the tavern keeper’s wife saw the stick and thought that it will make miracles as the handkerchief and little cock did and agreed to steal it from the boy. When the boy fell asleep the tavern keeper’s wife tried to take the stick, but this time the boy wake up and cried: “Hit stick!” And the stick began to hit on, and on the tavern keeper and the tavern keeper’s wife.
“Wait boy!” the tavern keeper shouted. “Tell to stop the stick - we will give you back the handkerchief!”
“Oh – oh - oh!!” the tavern keeper’s wife shouted. “Enough! I will bring you the little cock back!”
“Stick stop!” And the stick stopped. The tavern keeper’s wife at once brought back the handkerchief and the little cock.
The boy took it and directly to his mother. “This time you will see the real handkerchief and little cock!” He spread out the handkerchief: “Handkerchief, give me banitsa and ayran! Little cock sing!” said the boy and golden coins began to fall from its mouth.
And so lived a mother and son happily ever after.